- PART-TIME CIRCULATION DESK CLERK/NON-EXEMPT
- COMMUNICATIONS SUPPORT
- PEQUOT INTERN
ABOUT PEQUOT LIBRARY
Bringing Literature, Music, Art, Science & the Humanities to our Community. Our mission extends far beyond most traditional lending libraries. Pequot Library is housed in a historic building, framed by a Great Lawn, and located on over three acres in the charming village of Southport in Fairfield, CT. A small gem to be discovered, Pequot Library is a vibrant programming library where patrons arrive for high-impact cultural events and leave enriched and inspired.
For over seven generations, Pequot Library has been a cultural beacon of Fairfield County, providing professional, encouraging library services and diverse programming to our local and regional community. Pequot Library:
• Helps children develop a life-long interest in reading and learning through engaging programs and special activities.
• Presents concerts, exhibitions, lectures, and a wide range of cultural, educational and community events in both its Auditorium/Concert Hall and The Perkin Gallery.
• Engages the pressing issues of the day with its collections and adult programs.
• Integrates its internationally important Special Collections of are books and materials into its day-to-day service to the community through exhibitions, programs, and hands-on events.
Preserves its original 1889 building, one of Connecticut’s historic treasures, as an ideal setting for all these activities.
Experience award-winning, professional musical performances in the prized acoustic of the Auditorium/Concert Hall (which is perhaps the finest performance venue of its size in the region) and discover distinctive exhibitions in The Perkin Gallery. We integrate Pequot’s nationally significant Special Collections of rare books and materials, local artists’ work, and renowned traveling displays from partnering institutions, on display free and open to everyone. Enjoy stimulating public programs: Meet best-selling Authors, explore important Issues of the Day with recognized experts, and view thought-provoking films and documentaries. More than 100,000 individuals of all ages are educated and entertained by more than 750 programs each year.
PART-TIME CIRCULATION DESK CLERK (NON-EXEMPT)
The circulation staff are those people with primary contact with visitors of all ages at Pequot Library. It is an essential part of their job that they project the warmth, helpfulness, and enthusiasm that is such an essential part of what makes Pequot Library such a unique and valued institution. They create an orderly and workable front desk environment that promotes overall materials circulation, program attendance, and membership growth. They will be requested to be available for some special events and programs as needed. The circulation staff reports to the Chief Librarian.
Handle operations at the Front Desk to achieve efficiency and warmth associated with Pequot Library.
• Prepare circulation desk for opening and closing
• Check books in and out, process holds, overdues, etc. and notify patrons when books arrive
• Perform ready reference and readers’ advisory services by helping patrons find the right book or item
• Responds to telephone inquiries promoting attendance at programs and use of services
• Monitors public use of library facilities and assists patrons in location of library materials and use of technology (public computers, copying machine, printer)
• Responsible for displays as well as shelving material
• Assist Children’s Librarian with youth services & youth programming
• Perform other library and program tasks as assigned
• Act as docent with rare book exhibitions and in The Perkin Gallery
• Saturdays, Sundays, and occasional evenings required to manage special events/rentals
• Other duties as needed
Minimum Qualifications and Skills
Bachelor’s degree required and some library experience, preferred
• High overall level of computer proficiency
• Ability to communicate effectively, courteously and promote membership growth
• Ability and desire to serve the public of all ages
• Knowledge of current/popular books for Readers’ Advisory
• Ability to work as a team member
• Flexibility, sense of humor
• Availability for evenings and weekends
Pequot Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
COMMUNICATIONS AND MARKETING SUPPORT (unpaid volunteer)
Pequot Library is a vibrant and unique library located in Fairfield, CT and housed in a historic Southport building. It is seeking a Communications and Marketing Support person. This is a part- time opportunity (approx. 15 hours per week). This energetic team member will support collateral materials both in print and online. He/she will work closely with the Director of Communications. The Communications and Marketing Support individual will be responsible for providing a consistent and professional representation of Pequot Library in all its communication vehicles.
Potential Duties and Responsibilities
• Write press releases
• Compile press book (copies of published articles in print and online)
• Submit program information plus images to online calendars
• Create flyers from template using Microsoft Word and images
• Schedule, produce, and publish social media event updates
• Provide marketing support of planned events and special communications
• Create and update social media content on various sites
• The intern will help support the entire Communications department, including print publications, public relations, web, and digital communications
• Be passionate about libraries, art, music, and culture
• Excellent written communications skills
• Experience managing multiple social media accounts (Facebook, LinkedIn & Twitter)
• Proficient with Microsoft Office programs, plus Flickr, Facebook, Twitter
• Excellent written communication and proof-reading expertise
• Attention to detail
• High organizational ability
• Deadline oriented
• Self-starter with a sense of initiative and responsibility
• Friendly, outgoing & positive attitude
• Graphic design expertise a plus
• Ideal candidate is organized, with strong attention to detail; possesses excellent computer skills and be able to work independently and complete projects quickly without sacrificing quality and accuracy.
• Strong interpersonal, team-building & professional skills
• Passion for the work, mission and values of Pequot Library
• Superior time management and oral & written communication skills
• Excellent multitasking and direct/open communication skills
Docents are volunteers who are trained to lead students in grades K-12 through tours of Pequot Library's history and architecture and/or materials on display from our Special Collections. Docents engage students through lively, interactive discussion, and a hands-on approach to learning while conveying the warmth that Pequot Library is known for. Click link here for more information about position and application.
Become a part of our staff and learn the inner workings of a public library by becoming a Pequot Intern! We offer a number of internships in a variety of exciting fields, from development, to library services, to communications. To apply, download, fill out and return this application.